Today, some people desire youthful, supple skin that makes them appear ten years younger. While a number of skincare products exist to help facilitate those changes, other people desire a permanent solution. To achieve the younger looking skin of their dreams, many women and men are turning to what is known as non-surgical skin tightening. This form of non-invasive cosmetic surgery involves using heat to target the deep layers of the skin in order to facilitate the tightening effect that leads to supple looking skin. As a form of cosmetic surgery, non-surgical skin tightening might be the solution that some people desire to use in order to achieve a more youthful looking appearance.
How does non-surgical skin tightening work?
The entire non-surgical skin tightening is relatively straightforward. The process utilizes a special laser to tighten the skin by heating the surface of the skin and allowing the heat to penetrate the skin to reach the underlying deeper layers. This causes the muscles in the deeper skin to contract, causing the upper layers of the skin to tighten and reduce the appearance of wrinkles on the skin surface.
There are currently two different types of FDA approved technologies used in non-surgical skin tightening. These technologies are known as ultrasound skin tightening and radiofrequency skin tightening.
Radiofrequency non-surgical skin tightening focuses on heating the epidermal skin layers to help facilitate a tighter, smoother appearance of the surface of the skin. This form of non-surgical skin tightening is approved to treat the hands, neck, face, and parts of the body. Most people are able to get radiofrequency skin tightening in just a day and generally go through little to no recovery time. Most forms of radiofrequency skin tightening are safe to perform on all skin types. In most cases, patients will need up to six sessions of radiofrequency non-surgical skin tightening to achieve optimal results.
Ultrasound non-surgical skin tightening involves the use of powerful, focused ultrasound energy to heat the different layers of the skin to facilitate the tightening effect. This also helps induce collagen production to help the skin regenerate much firmer than before. A handheld ultrasound device is used to administer treatment, which involves heating the upper and deeper layers of the skin, transmitting the ultrasound waves between layers. This form of skin tightening is approved to treat the chest, chin, neck, and brow. Most treatments take as long as 90 minutes to complete and patients generally experience little recovery time. The most optimal results appear after about three months and usually lasts as long as a year before treatment is required again.
The benefits of non-surgical skin tightening
Many non-surgical skin tightening procedures have benefits that make this form of noninvasive cosmetic procedure suitable for most people looking for youthful skin.
- A facelift effect. The typical non-surgical skin tightening procedure creates a skin lifting effect that is similar to facelift results. This makes skin tightening a suitable alternative to facelifts.
- Shorter treatment times. Most non-surgical skin tightening sessions take as little as an hour for a medical practitioner to perform. Most patients also experience shorter recovery times and are often able to return to their daily life the following day after treatment.
- Longer lasting results. The results from non-surgical skin tightening typically last as long as a year. Multiple skin tightening treatment sessions also prolong the results for many patients who want to maintain younger looking skin.
- Little to no side effects. Skin tightening generally causes little to no side effects for most patients. The best non-surgical skin tightening providers perform the procedure in a way that reduces side effects.
- Not just limited to the face. Much non-surgical skin tightening treatment target other parts of the body, instead of just the face. This makes the cosmetic procedure well suited for people who want to improve the appearance of aging skin on other parts of the body like the chest or around the neck.
What to expect during non-surgical skin tightening treatment
The actual non-surgical skin tightening treatment is a simple process for most patients who desire this treatment. After the initial consultation, the patient visits the office of the practitioner performing the procedure. Here, the patient is prepared for the treatment by use of a topical anesthetic and being informed of the extent of the non-surgical skin tightening process.
During the non-surgical skin tightening process, the practitioner uses a special tool to help transfer heat into the deeper layers of the skin. The device produces a laser beam that emits fat pulses of heat into the skin. Some patients remark that these pulses feel like pinpricks. The tiny pulsations push the heat into the deeper layers of the skin, which causes the underlying muscles to contract and pucker the upper layers and surface of the skin. This process essentially facilitates the youthful and supple looking skin following recovery.
The results from non-surgical skin tightening generally appear immediately after the procedure takes place. The skin usually takes on a smoother and supple looking appearance that reduces