Natural remedies for treating constipation
Constipation is a grave and common problem affecting many individuals across the globe. Am sure all of us have must have passed through this dreaded feeling at least once in a lifetime. Come morning, and you would again fear those painful bowel movements. You may even have the urge to pass out stool, but nothing productive may turn out. You may have also paid several unproductive visits to the doctor. Am sure, you must have also reached out for over the counter laxatives which would have further worsened the condition.
Relieving constipation can easily be done by following certain home remedies. These remedies are natural and can be done with the ingredients that are readily available at home. If you wish to drive constipation away and be free from all the uncomfortable symptoms associated with it then it is high time you try out these natural remedies.
- Oil: Pure olive oil is known to do wonders in relieving constipation. All you need to do is to mix equal proportions (1 tablespoon each) of olive oil and lemon juice and have it on empty stomach in the morning. Olive oil acts by simulating your digestive system which facilitates the moving of the contents through the colon. You must also remember that, olive oil not only relieves constipation but also prevents its recurrence if taken regularly.
- Lemon juice: Your sensory channels may get activated with the smell of lemon; but little did you know that your intestinal contents also love the smell of it? Yeah, it is true. The citric acid in lemon stimulates the digestive system and also helps in flushing out the toxins that have got deposited on the walls of your colon due to incomplete bowel clearance. For this, you need to squeeze one lemon into a glass of warm water. Have this juice every morning to get rid of constipation once and for all.
- Blackstrap molasses: Blackstrap molasses is high in magnesium content that helps in relieving constipation. However, you might not like the flavor of molasses; but forget the flavor, I am sure you will love the feeling of painless bowel movement. Still, if you do not savor the flavor of blackstrap molasses then you can mix 1 teaspoon of it in a cup of warm water. If a teaspoon of molasses is not effective then you can increase the quantity gradually.
- Fiber rich food: This is one of the important lifestyle changes that you are required to do for relieving constipation. What you need to understand is that eating a diet that is fiber rich is beneficial in the long run. It will not induce a sudden urge to clear off your bowel. But, gradually eating fiber rich foods day in and day out will surely curb the problem of constipation and you will be able to pass your stools with ease. Fiber does not get digested itself and absorbs water and swells,this helps in easy passage of stool.
- Exercise: Todays’ lifestyle is more sedentary in nature and you tend to spend long hours in your office cabin without moving about too much. Hence, physical movements and exercises are recommended. Regular exercise helps regulate your bowel movements and would not allow constipation to set in at all.
All these natural home remedies are sure to drive away constipation. However, making lifestyle changes such as regular exercising; eating fiber rich foods along with plenty of water would in no way allow constipation to sneak in.