Attending face-to-face drug rehab isn’t always an option, especially with the ongoing pandemic. However, that doesn’t mean you have to continue suffering from an ongoing substance use disorder instead of receiving treatment.
An online drug rehab program is an excellent option for individuals who need help to recover from addiction but are unable to attend treatment in person. If you need addiction treatment but you’ve never been to rehab or you’re unsure of how to find the right online rehab program, here are a few basic bits of information that can help you make an informed decision.
What is Online Rehab?
Online drug and alcohol rehab is sometimes referred to as tele-treatment. It is a professional treatment program for substance use disorders that provides all the same care you would receive in person, except it’s done remotely online. This means you attend group therapy, family therapy, individual therapy, and review all of your treatment materials, such as 12-Step worksheets, virtually with a licensed addiction treatment professional.
“Online drug and alcohol rehab programs are not intended to replace face-to-face treatment, but they are an excellent supplementary program for people who are suffering from addiction,” said Mathew Gorman, CEO of Briarwood Detox Center.
There may be elements of an online rehab program that may be performed in-person, such as a physical evaluation and/or medical detox. Depending on the severity of your addiction, your previous treatment history, and the type of drug(s) you are using, you may need to attend some of these in-person aspects of treatment.
What are the Benefits of Online Rehab?
There are many great benefits of online rehab programs.
- Personalized addiction treatment is flexible and can be tailored to your schedule.
- You can attend treatment sessions from the comfort of your own home.
- You will work with certified addiction treatment specialists who use evidence-based and results-based treatment methods that work.
- A reputable program will still ensure complete confidentiality, privacy, and 100% guaranteed protection of your personal information.
- Family members can be an active part of their loved one’s recovery even if they live out-of-state.
- Many health insurance providers cover telehealth services. The federal government has also lifted many restrictions on the use of telehealth to new and established Medicare patients.
- You can attend addiction treatment during the COVID-19 pandemic without fear of spreading or contracting the disease.
5 Tips to Choose the Best Online Rehab Program
Choosing a drug and alcohol rehab program can be an overwhelming process, but there are several things you can do to ensure that you make a decision that aligns with your needs, values, and financial ability.
- Investigate your options. Research the different types of online rehab programs available and determine which one you prefer. You will either be attending rehab full-time or part-time, depending on the type of program you choose. Many programs also vary in length but keep in mind that research shows treatment involvement lasting significantly longer than 90 days is recommended for maintaining positive outcomes.
- Consider your budget, the severity of your addiction, and your availability. These three factors are very important when selecting an online rehab program. You’ll want to make sure the program provides adequate treatment for your addiction, isn’t too expensive for your budget, and aligns with your availability and schedule. To determine your level of addiction, you can obtain a professional screening from your doctor or an addiction treatment professional.
- Find out what your insurance will cover. Talk to your insurance provider to determine what type of online addiction treatment is covered under your policy and to what extent. You may also be able to find reputable rehab centers offering scholarships and payment plans for those who do not have insurance. The best way to find out if a rehab program offers payment assistance is just to ask.
- Make sure the program is reputable and trustworthy. Before enrolling in any online rehab program, you’ll want to make sure the company providing the services is reputable and trustworthy. You can do this by asking lots of questions about accreditation, treatment success rates, and researching independent reviews online and elsewhere. The treatment program should also use a variety of evidence-based therapy approaches and medical treatment, employ trained and certified professionals, provide a strong support system, and offer thorough aftercare plans.
- Ensure the program provides specialized treatment if you need it. Many online drug rehab programs provide specialized treatment that is tailored to specific populations, such as LGBT individuals, veterans, or teens. This is important to consider, as it will affect the quality of treatment you receive and the extent of its application to your life.
Is Online Rehab a Good Fit For Me?
There are several different types of drug rehab programs for people who are struggling with addiction, but online rehab is great for people who:
- Have already attended an inpatient rehab program and who are already in active recovery
- Have physical disabilities that make it difficult for them to attend a treatment center for care
- Live in remote or rural locations with limited access to addiction treatment
- Have hectic academic schedules, work obligations, or family obligations that they must attend to while completing treatment
- Want to avoid the stigma of going to rehab, such as high-level executives
If you think online rehab would be a good fit for you, the best way to get started is to do your due diligence and contact the rehab center of your choice to inquire about enrollment and verify your insurance coverage.
There are many different roads to recovery and not everyone’s journey there looks the same. Online rehab may be a part of yours, or not, but what matters most is that you get the help you need to recover.